A treasury bill (T-Bills) is a short-term investment product (from 91 days to 365 days) backed by the Bank of Ghana on behalf of the Government. When you buy one, you are essentially lending money to the government of Ghana.
Treasury bills are one of the safest forms of investment in the world because they are backed by the Ghana government and are considered risk-free. They are also used by many other governments throughout the world. Upon maturity, the government will repay the amount it borrowed (your investment) with the determined interest rate given at the time of the investment.
The interest rate payable depends on how long you lent your money for.
- Treasury bills are risk free.
- You may roll over both the principal and interest or continue with the investment (roll over the principal) and take your interest.
- Treasury Bills can easily be converted into cash.
- Interest on T-Bills is higher than bank savings account rates.
- No applicable transactions cost.
- T-Bills can be used as collateral.
- There is no limit to how much one can buy. It depends on how much you are willing and able to buy.
Anyone company can buy treasury bills. However, you can buy T-Bills for a minor and hold it in trust for him or her. It can also be held in trust for family members, friends or organizations.
- A minimum of Ten Ghana Cedis (GH¢ 10.00)
- National ID